Computer & Technology Consultant;
UNIX C Developer, Computer Security, UNIX System Administrator, Internet developer, Systems Engineer, Technology Consultant
As a Technology Consultant, I seek to use my skills and abilities to leverage technology to help you achieve your goals.
I possess very strong skills in UNIX C programming, UNIX system administration, and computer security. I am skilled in systems integration, engineering, and testing. I also maintain a variety of other skills such as web administration, Microsoft systems administration, network administration, database administration, and customer support.
Counted among my programming skills are C/SQL, artificial intelligence, data acquisition and analysis, as well as real time control systems. I am also versed in web, and network programming. I have over 18 years of professional technical experience.
I am skilled in the application of a wide range of technology. Some examples include technical document writing, GPS, wireless and cellular, solar and alternative power systems, electric fencing, audio visual systems, surveillance and wildlife cameras.
My expertise and experience in Systems Engineering and Integration enable me to develop tailored systems using off the shelf and customized hardware and software.
Through a lifelong passion for the wilderness, I have picked up a variety of outdoor skills. Some of these include; navigation, tracking, canoeing, foraging, and shelter building. I am very comfortable working in the wilderness.
September 2017 - Present Bloq Senior Information Security Engineer — Ely, MN
- Information Security
November 2014 - Present Ted's Tech Shack Technology Consultant — Ely, MN
- Consult with local businesses on technology needs. Implement technology.
- Small business web site design, implementation, and maintainence.
- Online freelance work.
- Please reference Ted's Tech Shack for more information.
November 2011 - September 2014 North American Bear Center & Wildlife Research Institute Field Technician/Research Assistant — Ely, MN
- Developed and maintained a custom, remotely located, wild bear Den Cam. System included solar power, cellular gateways, cameras and microphones, digital recording and live streaming.
- Used telemetry and GPS to track wild bears and collect data for research.
- Maintained tracking collars and GPS units on non-tranquilized wild bears.
April 2012 - May 2012 British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Bear Wrangler — Ely, MN
- Worked with BBC production, cast, and camera crews tracking and handling wild bears.
- Guided BBC cast and crew in wilderness environment.
January 2012 - May 2012 British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Fixer & Production Assistant — Ely, MN
- Acted as liaison and guide between BBC crew and local population, culture, and environment.
- Assisted film and production crews with live worldwide broadcasts.
May 2008 - October 2011 Canadian Waters Outfitter — Ely, MN
- Outfitted and advised clients on gear specific to the Boundary Waters Canoes Area Wilderness and Quetico areas
- Advised clients on routes, hazards, activities, sights, fishing, and all pertinent information on the areas in which they were traveling
- Wilderness Guide into the BWCAW handling all aspects of the trip
- Informed clients on the rich history and natural history of the BWCAW and Ely
- Retail sales and register
- Computer and network support
July 2007 - October 2007 Piragis Northwoods Company Outfitter — Ely, MN
- Outfitted clients with gear from canoes to meals
- Trained clients in proper use of gear
- Aided clients with all aspects of trip preparation
- Maintained gear
November 2006 - January 2007 Casbah Tea House Cook — Tucson, AZ
- Line Cook for vegan and vegetarian meals
- Prep Cook for vegan and vegetarian cuisine
April 2005 - March 2006 Teaching Drum Outdoor School Staff — Three Lakes, WI
- Managed school office
- Setup, maintained, and documented computer and technology systems
- Aided in all aspects of school life
- Article and book editor
December 2000 - September 2001 Network Associates PGP Security division Senior Software Engineer — Santa Clara, CA
- Software Engineer for PGP E-Business Server on multiple platforms (AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows NT)
- Developed thread-safe API for PGP E-Business Server
- Team member on design, development, and feature road map for PGP products
- Handled technical challenges in building and porting PGP E-Business Server to multiple platforms
- Built and managed numerous UNIX development servers for multiple platforms
- Aided in training of QA team in UNIX environments
October 1999 - April 2000 Virtual Space Network Development Manager — Phoenix, AZ
- Managed programmers, technical support, and system administrators, on multiple projects
- Project design and implementation for automated web hosting site
April 1999 - October 1999 Institute for Bioengineering Consultant — Phoenix, AZ
- Identified security needs and implemented most critical aspects
- Identified interoffice communication requirements and implemented email, web, collaboration, and calendaring systems
April 1999 - October 1999 Numatico Contractor — Phoenix, AZ
- Development of network back-end for a US Naval helm control system
- Integration of control system with Wonderware Factory Suite system
October 1998 - April 1999 NDC Health Information Services Lead Engineer — Phoenix, AZ
- Developed corporate UNIX security policies and procedures
- Large UNIX & NT server administration
- Implemented firewalls, IDS, scanners, and other security tools
July 1997 - May 1998 Motorola Space & Systems Technology Group Principal Engineer — Chandler, AZ
- Aided in design of test and integration plans for Iridium Gateways
- Integrated complex vendor subsystems into Iridium Gateways
- Administered Windows NT, UNIX, vendor systems and networks
- Designed and implemented test beds
January 1997 - November 1997 WebWyrks Co-founder & Director of Engineering — Phoenix, AZ
- Project management coordinating contractors and engineers in design and implementation of Internet collaboration software
- Engineering work on e-commerce, web pages, and Internet applications
April 1994 - April 1997 ADS Communications Lead Software Engineer — Phoenix, AZ
- Developed and integrated multiple sub-systems of Automated Dispatch System
- Designed and implemented interprocess communications for ADS system
- System administration of development and production UNIX servers
- Back-line customer support and relations
December 1993 - April 1994 Hughes Missile Systems Programmer/Analyst — Tucson, AZ
- Member of development team tasked with analyzing and maintaining factory shop floor control and management software
- Analyze and maintain PCs. Train shop floor personnel in use of PCs and software
September 1993 - December 1993 Steward Observatory, Mirror Lab Staff Programmer — Tucson, AZ
- Full cycle design and development of control system used for writing precision holograms
June 1989 - September 1993 Steward Observatory, Mirror Lab Student Worker — Tucson, AZ
- Developed control systems for precision metrology of large optics. Programmed data acquisition systems for large optics tests. Assisted in analysis of test data and system quality
- Analyst and support work for lab PCs and network
- Member of team that developed the largest (at that time), single cast, telescope mirror at 6.5 meters f1.25
December 1986 - August 1991 CIMSoft Co-founder & Programmer/Analyst — Glendale, AZ
- Advised purchase of hardware and software for clients
- Developed and maintained a medical records tracking system
- Developed a chemical labeling system
2008 - 2013 Ely Area Food Shelf — Ely, MN
- Assist with unloading, stocking, and coordinating monthly food delivery
- Assist with organizing a wide variety of volunteers
- Help coordinate with Cub Scout food drive
2008 - 2010 Voyageurs Area Council Cub Scouts — Ely, MN
- Participated in various scouting activities
- Ran merit badge workshops
- Organized food for Blue & Gold banquets
- Created web site with forums and calendar for local scouting organization and gave public presentation and written instructions to pack members on use of technology
- Aided with annual food drive
2004 - 2005 Black Pine Animal Sanctuary — Albion, IN
- Assisted in care and feeding of animals
- Assisted in building and maintaining enclosures
- Assisted in guiding tour groups
- Aided in outreach programs
RCS, CVS, SVN, Linux (RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Arch, etc.), Solaris, Irix, Ultrix, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, SCO UNIX, DOS, Microsoft Windows, X Window System, Sun, Intel, Motorola, Apple, SGI, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, PHP, SSH, Nmap, PGP, GPG, Glenayre MVP, Pascal, C, BASIC, Assembly, LISP, gcc, Curses, LibreOffice, Open Office, VirtualBox, Bash, TCP/IP, Sockets, etc.
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA Tucson, AZ
Bachelor of Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies, August 1993
My degree is a tailored program with three fields of study instead of the standard major/minor program. The specific fields of study are Computer Science, Mathematics, and Philosophy with a focus on Artificial Intelligence.